Charles NEWBERY and Jane WHEELER
My 3rd Great Grandparents
Charles NEWBERY (c.1817-1864), son of James NEWBERY and Sarah STONE, was baptised on 27 Jul 1817 in St Mary's, Carisbrook, Isle of Wight, England. He was a Sawyer.
Jane WHEELER (c.1810-1876) daughter of John WHEELER and Sarah LINNINGTON, was baptised on 19 August 1810 in Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, England.
Charles and Jane were married on 14 April 1835 in Alverstoke, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England.
Around 1839 after the birth of their second child, the family moved from the Isle of Wight to London.
At the time of the 1841 England Census they were living in Paddington, Middlesex, England but unfortunately, the Census returns for Paddington are missing.
In the 1851 England Census, Charles aged 32 and Jane aged 35, were living in Washwood, Hamlets of Sattley, Aston, Warwickshire. Charles was working as a sawyer. Living with them were their children, Sarah aged 15 a servant, James aged 11 a bolt maker, Emma aged 9 a scholar, Ellen aged 5 a scholar and George aged 3.
On 23 May 1857 the family emigrated from Liverpool, England aboard the ship 'Monica'. They arrived in Sydney, NSW on 18 Aug 1857. They are listed in the 'Monica' Shipping Indent.
Charles died aged 48 of Remittent Fever, duration four weeks on 8 June 1864 in Clermont, Qld. Gold was discovered in Clermont in 1861 and maybe Charles was there trying to make his fortune. The informant on his death certificate was Gilbert Huder, a sawyer, which probably means Charles' family were not with him.
Jane died aged 63 of Typhoid Fever and Bronchitis, duration 14 days on 6 April 1876 in George Street, Waterloo, NSW. The informant was her son, James Newbery of Bullanaiming St, Waterloo NSW. At the time of her death her two sons and three daughters were living. She was buried on 8 April 1876 in the Baptist Necropolis, Sydney, NSW.
Charles NEWBERY and Jane WHEELER had the following children:
1. Sarah Ann NEWBERY (c.1835-1908)
Sarah was baptised on 26 July 1835 in Carisbrook, Isle of Wight. She married 36 year old widower James George MINETT (1825-1883) at the Presbyterian Church, Elizabeth St, Sydney, NSW on 16 Sep 1861. James' occupation was listed as Gold Digger. Witnesses to the marriage were Charles Newbery and James Newbery. Sarah died in Granville, NSW on 8 Oct 1908 and is buried in the Anglican Section at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney. Her headstone inscription says "Our Mother".
2. Mary Elizabeth NEWBERY (c.1837-1838)
Mary was born about 1837 in Carisbrook. Died in England in 1838.
3. James Charles NEWBERY (1839-1909 )
James was born in 1839 in Paddington, London. He married Susannah Mary SMITH (1839-1918) in Redfern, NSW on 2 Apr 1860. On 26 May 1898 he was convicted of using obscene language and sentenced to 14 days in the Darlinghurst Gaol. He was released on 8 June. He was described as being 5'4" high, dark hair and blue eyes. He died in Campsie, NSW on 12 Jan 1909.
4. Emma Jane NEWBERY (1841-1900). My 2nd Great Grandmother
5. Ellen NEWBERY (1846-1885)
Ellen was born in 1846 in Paddington, London. She married Charles Miles SMITHSON at Chippendale, NSW on 26 October 1863 at St. Paul's Redfern. They had ten children, Sarah Emma 1864-1923; Thomas Charles 1866-1946; Ellen Henrietta 1870-1951; Ada Caroline 1872-74; Charles Miles 1875; Emma J 1877-78; Ethel May 1879-1928; Walter J 1882-82; Eveline J 1882; Alice Louisa 1884-5. Ellen died, aged 39, in Croydon, NSW on 4 Jan 1885.
6. George Wheeler NEWBERY (1848-1918 )
George was born in 1848 in Aston Warwickshire, England. He married Elizabeth Price NEAL on 17 Aug 1871 at Ross in New Zealand and they were divorced in 1886. They had six children, Sarah Jane 1872; Georgina Emma 1874; Stephen J C 1877-79; Frederick George 1879; Bessie May 1881-1957; Rose E 1883-85. In 1887 he married Mary A. WHITE in Sydney. They had one child Elsie V 1888-1908. George died on 20 Aug 1918 in Canterbury, NSW.
1. "Census 1851 Aston Warwickshire HO107/2062/360/9 (Charles Newbery)".
2. "Marriage Record : Charles Newbery & Jane Wheeler", England, Select Marriages, ancestry.com
3. "Shipping Indent : 1857 'Monica' - Charles Newbery".
4. "Marriage Certificate : James Charles Newbery & Susannah Mary Smith". NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages.
5. "Marriage Certificate : Sarah Ann Newbery & James George Minett". NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages.
6. "Marriage Certificate: George Wheeler Newbery & Elizabeth Price Neal". New Zealand Births Deaths & Marriages.
7. "Death Certificate : Charles Newbery" (1864/483). Queensland Births Deaths & Marriages.
8. "Death Certificate : Jane Newbery (nee Wheeler)". NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages.
Updated 17 March 2017